Electrical fire in Tillson - car, home, apartment destroyed
( Photo courtesy Daily Freeman )
TILLSON - A house on River Road was burned to the ground in an electical fire that spread to an adjacent apartment causing serious damage and spreading further yet to destroy a vehicle nearby. Firefighters were able to save the apartment but it will need extensive repairs before it can be occupied again. Everything else was lost. The house at 47 River Road was ablaze when firefighters arrived about 11:20 a.m. Three engines and about half a dozen tankers were at the scene for almost eight hours.
Thank God that their were no injuries or deaths. This electrical fire is THIRD one in this part of the Hudson Valley since October 8 and latest one in Ulster County. This tragically demonstrates the need to establish electrical contractor licensing. Dutchess County passed their Electrical licensing law just one day before this fire. Where is ours??
Ulster Legislators need to get to work NOW and start making serious
progress in regard to establishing their Ulster County electrical license. As of right now, Ulster County is OFFICIALLY the ONLY county where the untrained,unlicensed and unsafe electricians can wire homes.
The license will improve the quality of persons installing electrical work for all people of Ulster County and provide a means to determine who installed what, where and how. Quite simply, with a license ALL WORK MUST BE DONE ABOVE THE RADAR, no non inspected work, and there is a name to match to every installation.
WE NEED THAT LAW NOW MORE THAN EVER. Our people are the last ones who are not protected.
Political football players on this subject will be OUTED not only here, but in the court of public opinion and mercilessly, IN THE PUBLIC ARENA.
LETS GET THE BALL ROLLING NOW. No excuses.